Extremely sad...Please read!!!

J

jamie

This afternoon, to my horror, I went to feed my taricha granulosa, newton, to find him dried up on the rocks in his tank, in a standing position...dead. I was absolutely horrified, and completely confused since i saw him in the water, fine, yesterday. He was completely stiff,all dried up looking it was really bad, and I am still taking it horribly. I had him for two months, and i did everything to make sure he was healthy and happy. I am just baffled why he died, especially so horribly. I think i noticed that he hadn't been eating much, but he really didn't look skinny. I think he may have been sick, but he really didn't seem all that abnormal. Although for the past few weeks I had noticed some discoloration in his skin on his back. Has anyone had an experience like this, or understand how they get when they die. It would help me because I am absolutely overwhelmed with guilt and sadness about it.
Anything would be appreciated!!!

I'm not sure why he died, but I am sorry for your loss. Only a guess would be possible parasites. Amphibians mask their illnesses so well and sometimes by the time we notice anything odd, well, they're dead. I'm sure you did everything that you could do to offer him a good life.

This happened to me 15 years ago. It was a cynops orientalis, he was ok when I went to sleep - when I woke up I found him on his island frozen in place. I took it pretty hard - I was 10 years old.
It was probably ill already before you got him, newts are very hardy - you often don't see any signs of illness before it is too late.

It always seems like they die suddenly because of this - in most cases they have been ill for a long time already, it is very difficult to see if you do not have experience.

thanks guys, i'm itching to buy a new eastern newt because i love them so much, but I'm afraid I'll kill the poor thing....Also, I have been going through and disinfecting all of newton's old stuff and how is the best way to do that? I used soap, but i'm rinsing it beyond belief to get anything off of the stuff including soap residue. Is there anything I should just replace if I get a new newt?

Jamie, soap isn't necessary and may leave a residue. Bleach kills germs better and rinses off more easily. Just be sure to soak well afterward and allow everything to dry. If you had gravel, it's better to throw it away and get new, as it retains soap or bleach too well to rinse properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back