My salamander just morphed..please help!!!

K

katie

I got 6 salamander larvae at the end of July in a creek by my house. I live near Washington, Pa. With the help of some people on here
happy.gif
i narrowed it down to Eurycea Bislineata or E. Longicauda. They were about a 1/2 inch when I got them and now the biggest one is 1 1/2, thats the one that morphed. Sorry i cant post a pic but I cant get a good pic of them because my camera is not that good. When i researched these two kinds of Eurycea I discovered that the Bislineata would change in 1-3 years and the longicauda would in 3-7 months. Is it normal for a bislineata to change within 3 months in captivity? or would you think i have longicauda due to the changing time?
One more question...i got them all within a few feet of each other ( there was a ton of them, but fish were using them for lunch, so i felt bad, thats why i ended up with them!). would it be possible for for me to have a few of both E. Bislineta and E. longicauda???

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions!!

I finally got pics, but its saying they are too big to post. I am going to try to post them in the next hour if i can figure it out....

I dont know if this will work... I took the pics into an editing program on my comp.<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

sal.PSF (120.3 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

sal1.PSF (132.2 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

sal2.PSF (147.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

I dont think that worked..... These should....This is my first sal to change. He changed a few days ago and the other five are still aquatic. He is the biggest, but not by much so i am sure the others will follow soon. I need to know what weather they are the E. bislineata or the E. longicauda so i can figure out how to set up their new tank. Like i said before i have had them for two months and they were about a 1/2 inch when i got them. The one that changed is now 1 1/2. Anyone with ANY info please let me know. Thanks!

23531.jpg

23532.jpg

23533.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on September 28, 2004)

Its been four days since my sal changed and he wont even go near the water. He sits out on some floating plants or rocks or hangs on the side of the tank. Several people on here told me a few weeks ago that I should keep them in water and land tank. I was just worried he is not very happy since he seems to be anti-water right now. What should I do?

Recently changed salamanders tend to avoid water, and with good reason, they're very bad swimmers, it seems a bit odd, but they lose their ability to swim in less than a day. It probably won't approach the water for several years until it becomes an adult, and even then it will only enter the water to breed. You should move it to a terrarium ASAP!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back