Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen abdomen

S

steve

i have a crested newt in the garden pond with what seems to be a swollen abdomen, it struggles to get down under the water as though it has air trapped. is this possible or is it something a bit more sinister. any info would be appreciated. Steve

W

william

i'm afraid you can't do anything, do not disturb it, it is illegal to even pick these up, with a fine of up to £2000 per newt i've read. i was given a female common newt a month or two back with a similar problem which cleared up within a week.

S

steve

Thanks for the info. My newts came from a quarry that was being filled for building so they are now in a safe home.I will watch and wait on the poorly newt. Thanks again..Steve

W

william

wait on it but don't touch it or disturb it in anyway.

i'm suprised that they are filling in a quarry that has crested newts in it!

are you sure it is a crested newt (triturus cristatus), and not a common (lissotriton vulgaris) or palmate newt (lissotriton helveticus)

have a look at these pictures to make sure you've got the right species

palmate newt
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_helveticus.shtml

common newt
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_vulgaris.shtml

crested newt
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/Triturus_sp.shtml

S

steve

A Big sorry all round its a smooth newt.I,m only human you know.Either way its still a poorly newt.

W

william

okay, at least you can check it, is it female or male? if it has a rest then it is male. it could just be full of eggs if it is a female, but if it isn't then it could be the same thing as my newt had, and if so it should be fine soon. just let nature take it's course.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1