Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do newts eat nightcrawlers?

ali

Reaction score
Yes, and Yes. My newts (t. grans and cynops orientalis) both eat nightcrawlers.

You need to chop of the really dark end (the head) because it can irritate the newt after eaten, so don't feed that part (I don't know, but to be safe I don't feed the tip of the tail either)

And then they have to be chopped into small enough pieces to eat. My newts will spit it back out and then refuse to eat if I haven't cut it up small enough. I suppose it's just because those worms are so thick, they have a hard time getting it down if it isn't cut small enough.

C

carly

Huh... good to know about the worm heads. I never knew that. My guys have eaten them before no problem but I'll avoid it in the future.

J

joan

I feed my animals all ends of the night crawlers. They may still wiggle around in the stomach a bit, but they quickly die. This wiggling may have been what irritated your newts. I've never had a problem feeding worm heads/butts. I seem to recall your T.grans being smaller than mine too, that could be part of it. Mine are gigantic and will hoover up any food I present to them.

J

jennifer

The tail tip is the "filet mignon" of the worm, in my opinion. I sometimes do discard the head end because it is so fat, but there is no harm in using it to feed larger newts.

ali

Reaction score
Oops. Well, sorry Tiffany. I don't know where I got that information. It's hard to tell sometimes. At least I was using extra precaution and not enough, right! Good to know my worms can last me a bit longer now, hehe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1