FB Newt with a cut leg.

M

max

I just got newts, so I'm quite the newb. But I noticed a few days back one of the newts wasnt using his front leg, I thought it was broken, the next day I white spot had formed on the leg just above the foot, I thought maybe it was going to regrow its foot. The next day the spot had gotten bigger, so I took him out of the tank for a closer inspection, and the spot was actually a cut, and it was bleeding slightly, I dabbed the cut with a cloth and some salt water, but over the weekend it has still gotten bigger.

He is still eating and moving around lots, but he doesnt leave the water, I've been changing water every couple days, but I'm still worried it will spread to his body, has this happened to anyone else?

(Message approved by admin)

I'm trying to learn more about treatment for things like this and I found if you read the post about "white spot/wound" there are some good posts. Although the newt in question seems to have/had an infection, one of the posts states that if it is infected to a certain degree the limb may need to be amputated and that treatment would be the same as described about treating infection. Sorry my answer is indirect but I'm just trying to help by hinting in a direction, plus I get to learn more. Good luck and if I see anything else I'll probably post.

oops it seems to be titled "White spots/Infected wound" and the last post date seems to be 2-29-04 (except the date is listed the euro way)

Is it an ulcer or more like a fuzzy white spot?
Generally the fuzzy stuff is fungus, which is quite easy to treat. If it is an ulcer it will be more difficult depending on the degree of infection. If it is a cut that seems to grow it is most probably infected. I always keep antibiotics lying around these days.

I suppose you have read the hundreds of post telling you how to take care of the newt? Otherwise do so, newts are quite hardy animals if treated as they should be treated. Since you just got it his problem is from poor shipping and handling at the pet shop. If it is simply his leg that is damaged and the presumed infection is not systemic your newt should do fine with proper nursing.

Thanks For the help.

His leg is now completely missing below the joint. All thats left is a stump about a quarter inch long, (poor little guy) But he is still eating and moving around. Hopefully it will regenerate itself

(Message approved by admin)

It should be fine. A good appetite is always a good sign. Just keep the water as clean as possible, remove uneaten food and poop frequently. All the best!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back