Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My sal is sick, please help

S

samuel

welli dont know whats wrong with one of my sals, im posting some pics, but theyre not really good quality, please help

72175.jpg

72176.jpg

72177.jpg

72178.jpg

72179.jpg

i noticed this today in the morning whe i try to feed them, last night she was ok, wel it looked ok, please help me i dont want her to sufer

(Message edited by jennewt on October 23, 2006)

D

deborah

Ouch, that almost looks like some kind of injury that got infected. Do you keep her with any other critters that may have bitten her? Fish perhaps? Or paddletail newts? Anything sharp in her enclosure that she could have stuck herself on?

I hope she will be OK... for sure I would quarantine her, get her out of water and into a terrestrial setup where you can keep a close eye on her. Avoid feeding any crickets or critters that can bite.

It also looks kind of like a fungus, but i don't know much about that. You're at the right place though. Someone here will help you. hang in there!

S

samuel

thanks debora, shes onli living with anothef c.o. female, and an african frog, but the frog is always in the water, theyre outside of the water in a wet area, she might cut her self i a rock i have outside the water, because she likes to get under the rock, any ways thanks for the help, but if theres any medication or something, if anyone helps me/her ill be thankfull

K

kara

Please read the mixing disasters page on caudata culture...when it comes to mixing species, it is a bad idea...Did you consider that perhaps the newts are staying out of water because they are afraid or stressed out by the frog? The frog could have inflicted that wound, and I would seperate the species immediately.
I would quarantine the injured newt, and give it a series of salt baths, but since I am sure exactly what caused this, better ask soeone with ore experience.
Good luck! Hope all goes well.

S

samuel

actually the frog its scared of the sals, bt i already put them apart, but i really dont think the frog had something to do with it, because its so small, but ill try the salt baths

K

kara

if the frog is scared of the newts, do you think that is fair to the frog? the thing is, the animals cannot let you know if something is wrong, unless something extreme happens...
Your sick newt could have caught a fungal or bacterial disease from the frog. Frogs are known carriers of pathogens, even if it is a small specimen.

E

edward

This topic does not belong in the general discussion part of the forum. I will be moving it to the correct help section within 24 hours.

When you are talking about African Frogs I am assuming you are referring to African "aquatic" frogs.
The frog is not "afraid". It just doesn't go near the newts because it is aquatic.
These species have different requirements so you are strongly encouraged to keep them in different enclosures.

The newt is going to need to go to the vet.

Ed

S

samuel

thanks ed, i separate the frog and the sick sal so now i have 3 difrent lonley animals, thank for th help

J

john

Newts and frogs don't get "lonely". They are not people or social animals. You should take this newt to a vet - if it's a wound problem, the vet ought to be able to help.

S

samuel

to all of you that helped me i thank, the buble had just water and the vet sayd its probaly because of the wheater, because its getting too hot, that probaly the sun got her there for a long period, and made a buble(i dont know what the nae) like when you get burned, and he sucked the water out of it, and then told me to washit with salted water and erytromicina at 1% in the solution and today she droped the skin and she looks normal, well like with a scar, for now, ill post pic tomorrow. but thanks to all of you

D

deborah

Glad to hear you took her to the vet!!! Hope she will be alright, sounds like she is improving.

I agree - definately keep her separate from the little frog. They won't really be lonely, because they like their privacy
happy.gif
But anyway, if you are worried about her being by herself, you may consider getting another newt of the same species she is -- once she is all healthy again of course!!! And be sure to quarantine any new newt, even same species, for a couple weeks just to be safe.

BTW, Is she a C. Pyrroghaster? I couldn't tell for sure from the photo but she looked like she might be. They are wonderful newts. I have 5 of them.

Take care

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1