Water quality

D

dane

I recently put a peice a cork bark in my tank for an island and it made the water all brounish-red, I was wondering how you use corkbark so it dosnt change the color of your water, I think im going to get a turtle dock

Thats called "tanis". It's not particurly harmful, but it will lower the ph and there is not much you can do about it.

Same thing here. I have a piece of cork bark in my exhibit and the water turned reddish. With the filter on it becomes more yellowish and sometimes clear.

I know that with pieces of driftwood you can boil it on the stove and continually change the water to leach out many of the tannins. Doing this with your corkbark should have the same effect. If you don't want to boil them you could just place the corkbark in a bucket that you change the water on frequently for a few weeks before adding to the newt's aquarium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back