Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander care & feeding

J

james

I've had my tiger salamander 13 years now - is this long for this species? How long do they normally live for? Though I'm tempted to say to myself 'well I must be doing something right' I've never kept another amphibian and have never really read up on care. So I'm looking for tips to make his(her?) life longer and more comfortable.

food. He's nearly always hungry! Belly like a bottomless pit. I feed him about twice a week mainly on earthworms. In the past I've also used waxworms, moths, mealworms, slugs, crickets, prawns/ shrimps, and scraps of meat, chicken or fish. It's the frequency of feeding I'm not really sure about.

tank (about 100 x 30 x 30 cm)- I rarely clean it out which I know is bad, and which I'll address. He has a gravel bottom with a tub of water (changed once or twice a week) and an upturned plantpot and section of drainpipe.

Is there anything else I should be giving him?
thanks!

J

joan

Tigers can live 10+ years in captivity. I wouldn't be surprised if it lived past 15 years.

Tigers are opportunistic feeders, and will usually eat as much as you offer. I feed mine about three times a week, although twice a week is fine. It also sounds like you're using a nice variety of food.

I would change the substrate to topsoil or cocoa fiber. This will allow him to burrow. But you're doing well with providing some hiding spots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!