Need breeding tips on pygmy marbles

P

paris

i have had these guys for over 2 years now and they have never once taken to water..and with out that breeding is just a pipe dream.

i only have two-but i am pretty sure they are of opposite sex. one has a bright red stripe down the back the other has a more muted blood red stripe. i am pretty sure the bright red stripe is the female cause it is bigger and eats more! they both look like little green sausages with legs. they eat very hardily and are in a tank with lots of moss and access to water with depths up to 10 inches (they are in a seepage set up).

i just dont get why they have never taken to water-i mean they are of breeding age (i got them as advanced morphs 2 1/2 years ago)so what can i do to make them randy? they now -in the past month-are getting to where the tank will get down to 50 degrees-but the light is not on a timer-its on the whole time(this never stopped my alpines or smoothies from breeding).

are they particular or just pecular?

should i move them to a tank with only a floating platform?

i need tips from those that have been successfull with these-especially if you have had subborn ones like them and gotten results.

thanks

Hi Paris,

Timers are dirt cheap - so get one!
happy.gif

My best guess would be to try heavy rain simulation. Mediterranean species usually react very prompt to rain and flooding rather than other stimuli. I've experienced thunderstorms which completely inundated pretty dried up plains and the newts switched to aquatic mode right away (not that they had any other choice either except for climbing a few trees...
happy.gif
). Try a heavy shower twice a day; in addition, you can also use a filter to spray water onto the land portion (avoid soil though - an island with suitable hiding places will do).

Best wishes,
kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back