Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wooden Blocks

B

ben-lee

Hi all im sure u all know about my Wild T.V..well im making a new setup for her,again, and its fully water with islands, and i was just wondering could i use blocks of compressed wood chips as islands and then used moss to cover the tops? Thanks Ben

P

paris

bad idea-compressed chip blocks will fall apart when they absorb enough water and also you dont know what nasty chemicals are in the glue that keeps them together. some manufacturers use formaldehyde in particle board.....

B

ben-lee

ohh poo what about normal wooden blocks ? thanks for the info paris

(Message edited by benjo on March 10, 2005)

J

jeff

Ben, if you'd like an island for your newt may I suggest a floating island like this one:
http://www.zoomed.com/html/docks.php
I am currently using one of these in my N.v.v. set-up that is working quite well. I added fern moss on top and they seem quite content to lounge around in it.

B

ben-lee

Ok thanks for the info jeff, got any ideas for a island thats made from around the house?

J

jeff

Perhaps a sterile brick? It really depends on how deep your water level will be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1