Do some infections start off as a little white patch??

tiffany

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Tiffany Shewchuk
one of my newts has developed this. what should i do, it could be nothing but should i seperate him form his tankmate? should i be medicating him? how?

I recently bought two Chinese Firebellies from a pet store. one of them developed a little circular white patch on its side that kinda looked like a sore. Unfortunately, it died in a week. Hopefully someone else has some advice, or at least better news. I hope your guy makes it. I do think that separating him from your other newt is a good idea though.

Hi Tiffany
I have a very active and healthy looking male Red Spotted Newt that has had a very small white spot near the back of his head for a long time. I believe that he had it since I bought him at a Pet store. It is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. All I have done is keep a eye on it to make sure that it does not get any bigger and so far it has not grown at all. If it starts to grow I will use some Antiseptic on it!
nono.gif

A white spot could be an infection, or it could be a change in pigmentation. I wouldn't separate him, but keep a close eye on it.

Is the white spot fuzzy?kind of cotton like?
If so, it could well be the start of saprolegniasis-a fungal infection. Equally, it could be some bacterial or even protozoan infection... A picture would be handy!

the spot was not fuzzy, and it actually went away in the same day, im thinking it was just a dry spot, where he was sticking that part of his head his head out of the water.lol thanks alot

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back