They're morphing(the ones from salamander larva ID)

C

chris

We finally get to know what they are in a couple of days!! Should I just give them climbing spots or put them on moist unbleached paper towels??

Thanks!!
lol.gif

Lower the water level and provide lots of climbing out places. Check everyday for morps.
Chris

Well I have another question. Since they are either duskies or euryceas that means they are lungless so would I need to put more than one or two climbs in or just check on they're gill length.

And I have lowered the water from about 4 inches to 1 1/2 with the tank at a gradual tilt so they have a choice of depth or dry land.

Thanks and I will keep you updated!!

Well, if they are lungless, it isn't as impotant as say a metamorphosing Salamandrid for them to reach the surface.Most Eurycea and some duskies are fully aquatic in captivity and the wild as adults anyway.They breathe through cutaneous respiration, (through the skin)so they will get their oxygen from the water even as adults.Sure the extra land area may be great.But they may not even come out of the water permanently anyway.With no predators in the water in captivity they might not leave the water at all.But the land area is still a good idea incase they are not an aquatic species or are not plethodontids at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back