Salamanders/Newts for a backyard pond?

J

jeremy

I am currently researching wildlife that I could place in an outdoor pond. I am currently studying Biology and have an interest in salamanders (well cave life in general). I was wondering if a fairly large artificial pond could support Salamanders and if so could I have some suggestions (native to Missouri only please)?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Missouri has weird laws about owning native species, although I don't know them right off-hand. But if you build it, they will come.

Build a pond, stock it well with larvae food and plants, and the caudates will eventually find their way there.

Well, that works too. Initially, I thought I would have to stock the pond with larva, and was looking for the best choice of Missouri species.

By any chance, could you elaborate on this law or where to find it? I am not getting any results with google.

Contact Ed K. about them. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

Does this board have private messages for that or do I email him?

This board has private messages. Use the user list options to find Edward Kowalski (username: Ed).

You would need to contact your Department of Enviromental protection or its equivalent for the specific regulations.

If it is permissiable for you to collect and release larva (more and more states are moving towards if it has been collected it can't be released (as are many institutional study programs due to the transfer of pathogens like chytrid and ranaviruses), you want a population or populations as close to your house as possible as you can introduce a novel virus into the local population through releasing animals from different localities.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back