Any info on Pleurodeles

C

carl

has any body got any useful info i need to no the food they eat as a stable diet and what they require in the tank if they are fully aqautic or live on land thanks in advance

Hi Carl
probably you know that Pleurodeles is one of the most voracious amphibians of Europe. The things I've seen eating these newts in the wild should be seen to be believed! They can eat pieces of carrot and other vegetables that were in contact with meat, so... you can decide. They accept pieces of meat, fish, worms, it's really easy to provide a varied diet because these newts use mainly the sense of smell.

it doesnt say on the site what size tank is needed.

what is a good size for 2?

I keep my Pleuro's simply on a diet of amphibian pellets, its cheep, forms a complete diet and they seem to like them.

Totally aquatic is best with lots of plants and maybe the odd hiding place if you plan to keep more than a couple. Worms make a good staple diet but as Ruben says they'll give anything a go. A filter is good idea as what goes in does come out.
wink.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>jenny gibbes wrote on Monday, 10 January, 2005 - 22:20 :</font>

"it doesnt say on the site what size tank is needed. what is a good size for 2?"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Considering they grow up to 20cm you need a tank with lots of space. Especially when you have a male and a female. When they go in amplexus they'll use all the room they can get.

I have 6 in a 120cmx40cm tank.
I'd recommend a minimum of 60x30cm tank for two.

Joeri, I have four in a 60x30cm tank. They are an average of 10 to 12cm long right now, how big do they need to get before I should upgrade their tank size??? Thanx

It depends really on how the tank is set up, what the water quality is (pleuros can take a lot but you musn't abuse that) and how they behave.

I said that size because I find it a reasonable size for two adults, but three or even four could maybe thrive there as well. It's up to you to see when it gets to crowded. I allways had mine in a big tank so I can't say 'when' you have to switch them. (I like newts in big tanks - it gives lots of possibilities)
And I have mine in that bigger tank, but they hang out together almost the entire day on one darker half.

btw: I had eight 10cm juveniles in a 80x30cm tank - no filter - but it did ask a lot of cleaning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back