HELP! My FireBelly Newt is not eating...

W

wootwoot

hi pple,

i need help as my newt is not taking anything into its mouth(does not eat) i have bought both 2 days ago... any idea what should i feed it with ??? how can i make them eat ??

hi wootwoot, it'd sure help if you'd tell us what kind of newt you have there, how or where you acquired it, what kind of environment you're keeping it in, and what you're trying but failing to feed it
happy.gif

if you have an aquatic newt that doesn't enjoy eating frozen bloodworm, then I'd say you have a problem -- but then again, some newts may be stressed from transport and may not eat for the first few days until they settle down

i brought home some Japanese firebelly newts just the other day that should have been stressed out from several days of transport but they all began eating frozen bloodworm right away and even engaging in breeding behaviour!

the best thing you could so would be to check out the caresheet relevant to your newt at:

http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/caresheets/CS/salamandridae.html

good luck

tim

mine is a firebelly newt... at 1st when i brought 'em back i leave them in a tank with water cover 1/2 of their body but then i feed them with some frozen blood worms(de-froze)... but they r not eating any so i reomive them in case the worms rot in the water... today i transfer them into a 1/2 fill water tank... & i hand feed them with frozen blood worm but they still not eating how howhow ?? STRESS!!

The best temperature for firebellies is under 72F (21C). Give the newt a couple of days to settle into the new tank. Hopefully there is no current and the water is dechlorinated. Then try feeding again. Also, read the FAQs at the website Tim gave.

oh ok thanks for the posting... anyway i have an internal filter.. should i switch it off as it produce current

woot, sorry didn't realize it at the time but you had already said in the title that it was a firebelly...
blush.gif

do you happen to know more precisely what kind? Japanese firebellies are hardier than Chinese ones, for example, and so-called warty newts (Paramesotriton) are sometimes sold as "firebellies" and require somewhat different conditions (i.e. a slight current) -- post a digital pic if you can ;)

it is OK to have a not-too-powerful internal filter running as long as the tank is large enough and the water is not swirling around -- Cynops species are generally pond/paddy dwellers, not river dwellers ;) -- you can have the filter output run out over a rock or something, or block it with artificial plants -- as long as there is no significant current like Jen said

check out her setup (No. 3) at this page:
http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/tanks/setups.html

how long did you leave the worms in the water? if the water is cool (and it should be now if you're living in the Northern Hemisphere and not Oceania), then you can leave them there for several hours without worrying about them decomposing

if your newt or newts are not too skinny already, you needn't panic about them not eating right away as they can go for quite a while without food...though they should begin eating soon if all is well

keep them in at least several inches of water like you're doing now, not just half-covering their body -- but give them something to climb up on for when they wish to temporarily leave the water (like an artificial floating island sold for turtles)

put some plants in the water too to help them feel at home and to break the monotony of a bare tank

make sure the lid is secure as they can climb!

have you got one newt there or more than one?
good luck!}

hi tim,
anyway i'm living in asia country... the humidity is quite high & the sir temp is ard 29dergree C - 33degree C

the water temp is ard 28 - 29 degree C can my Chinese FB live in it...

that's why they're not eating! -- heat stress -- they'll surely die if kept at those temperatures for any length of time

anything over 28C is getting too hot for even most tropical fish, and newts need considerably cooler temperatures than them -- Chinese firebellies are especially delicate compared with Japanese ones

check out several ways of lowering the water temp at this site:

http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/FAQhou.html

but seriously, if your room temperature reaches as high as 33C and you're unable to consistently keep it cooler, you'd better quickly give the newt away to somebody who can before the poor thing dies...if you really care for it ;)

by the way, wootwoot, there are lots of newbies questions and answers at this site:

http://forum.kingsnake.com/newt/

best of luck to you...and the newt!

tim

Thanks alot lots lots... i think i better give it away.. see any 1 wanna adopt it... thanks for the concern...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back