LONG-TOE SALAMANDERS

B

billie

Hello all, I am looking for a good cage setup for a pair of Long-toed Salamanders (Ambystoma macrodactylum). I am still in process of finding habitat requirements. But I would assume they would do well in standard 'phib cage.

I just adopted/rescued these guys. They were found on friends property and she wants to plow up the pasture and did not want to have the salamanders harmed. So I will be caring for them, most likely for the rest of their lives. I would like to setup something natural but still simple.

Does anyone has setup Ideas for tiny salamanders? Anyone ever dealt with this species?? I could use all the tips I can get. Never enough information.

Thanks in advance,

Billie

>>If you know where they are breeding and if they haven't been in captivity for long (or exposed to other herps) you could release them back into the general area (a part that is not going to be plowed).

Thanks, sadly this land is being graded off for homes. I have checked with Fish & Game friends that I have and they do not like the idea of releasing these salamanders into new areas. Something about the natural genetics...

also, when I went to pick up these 2 sallies, they were being kept in the same container with an oregon newt... I do not know if they ever cross paths naturally so do not wish to spread any disease to whatever.

YOU SETUP LOOKS GREAT BY THE WAY!!!

I want to give these little guys the biggest/best home I can manage.

Billie

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back