Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I go digging?

H

howard

It has been 3 days and I haven't seen my sals on land. I know they are okay because I can see them thru the tank and they are burrowed very nicely. So my question is they haven't eaten in 3 days, should I dig them up and feed them, or are they okay and when they are hungry they will come up and eat. I am sure it is okay to leave them alone but I just wanted some opinions on what others have done when your sals burrow for a few days or week at a time. Thanks!

K

kaysie

no. leave them be, they'll come out when they're hungry. Or dump a dozen worms in there and let them hunt them on their own. tiger sals can go months without eating when their metabolism slows down

J

jesse

kaysie is right. they will come out to eat when they are hungry

J

jacob

Yep, they know how to be tigers more than you ever will. So just let them do their thing and they will come around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1