Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Night light for newts?

H

helen

I moved my newt tank into the basement a few weeks ago because it is cooler there. Ever morning I turn on a light, and I turn it off at night. Lately I've been wondering...is it ok for them to be in complete darkness all night? There are no windows near the tank so they don't even get any moonlight. Should I have a small night light type thing for them? ...or am I just being fussy
lame.gif

I

ian

My newts are growth up. They never used any night light. I guess yours will not need it. And maybe too much light will be stressful for the animal as well.

E

ester

If you do want a night light, consider a blue or white LED light. This will create a full moon setup.. nice to see what your newts get up to after dark.

ali

Reaction score
That's a good idea, Ester! Helen, if you go to http://www.thatpetplace.com/ and do a search for "LED," it should give you some good results.

"That pet place" is awesome. I've had the privilege of visiting their retail store a couple of times. ...It's quite amazing.

(They're in the US. Not sure if they ship internationally or not.)

J

jennifer

My newts are also in a basement w/o windows. They are in absolute darkness at night. They have not complained
rofl.gif

I agree, That Pet Place is great. I would love to see their store.

ali

Reaction score
It's amazing, Jennifer. I kid you not, it's about as big as a super Wal-mart, and just as impressive as their website. (Plus, they have beautiful tropical fish tanks here and there around the store.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1