Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dredlocks falling off new pet maybe tiger sal? help

R

rachel

my dad age 76 terminal with mds(cancer) was given a pet birthday. I think it may be a baby tiger salamader it is 6-8 inches long looks like one picture i found he is very worried all the dredlocks (are these gills?) fell off at one time today. it is swiming and eating still normal? it was given in a fish tank 10gal with directions to keep half full of water changing every 2 weeks feeding every 2-3 days pellet food was given. It would not eat the food didn't seem to see it we started feeding it worms it likes them and is eating he has had it about 1month and loves it i need help identifing it and lerning care etc. iam computer illiterate it is amazing i found this site. help!

C

cameron

Well in order to figure out what kind of salamander it is I need a description or picture of it. What do you mean by dredlocks?

J

jennifer

Check out the photos here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml
Is that your guy? That page has a pretty detailed advice about how to maintain them during metamorphosis. If it is losing the gills, it is going through metamorphosis. It will need a rock to climb out on, and will eventually need a terrarium setup. Be sure the lid is secure, they can climb up glass.

R

rachel

It looks like the photo( A. mavortium melanostictum, melanistic varianton) on the site listed here from Jennifer it used to look like photo (larvel tiger salamander(waterdog)) here but with more black spots. Those floating hair things on its head are what came off.

S

samuel

thats normal when they start to grow to juvenile they develop lungs so they don't need the gill anymore.

C

cameron

But she stated that they fell off. This not healthy but it is too late now. Normally they would shrink into its head and dissappear. That is when the lungs develope. I guess you have yourself a Tiger Salamander. Congrats!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!