NEWT LOSING FOOT?!

T

tammy

Hello
I bought a Fire Belly Newt (I'm assuming) from 'Pet World' at a mall, and when I got home, I noticed that his right back leg was a little bigger than his left. A few days later, and his foot is starting to disappear! I tried hydrogen peroxide (as the website suggested, and it's all I had on hand) and I think his bones dissintegrated :S?! I recovered 2 pieces of what looks like tiny foot bones, and now its pretty much a leg that just leads to a stump. No toes, just stump!
Should I take him back to the pet store (I called them, and they said put him under a lamp and keep him warm, but the site suggests otherwise)? Is there something I can to do help him? Or is this too painful for him (he opened his mouth in what could be a newt scream when I applied the hydrogen peroxide)
PLEASE help!

Thank you for your time,
Tammy

MMmm. Nevermind. I awoke this morning to find my newt belly up.
R.I.P. Newton . . .

Hi Tammy, this is a very common occurrence with shop bought newts. They are normally wild caught and have endured many weeks of stress before being purchased.

If you still want to keep newts as pets check the "for sale" section of this forum from time to time. Captive bred newts are a much healthier option and with be far easier to care for.

Hi Tammy
I agree with Mark. But if you still want to purchase newts from a pet store. Check them out carefully before you buy them and buy several of them that way you will stand a better chance of having at least one or two healthy newts.
I am sorry about your lost and I wish you better luck in the future!
talker.gif

i have seen a pet world by me selling fbn befor, and almost all of them had a foot or so gone do to fungus

And for future reference, this site is correct about temperatures. "keeping it warm under a lamp" is NOT good. These newts prefer colder temperatures and heating it up under a lamp would probably kill an already stressed and ill newt.

From what I've heard Hydrogen peroxide works only on anaerobic bacteria so on a sore is probably not what you are looking for. It also needs to be diluted lower than the dilution you get from the pharmacy for newts. I tried it with one Chinese fire belly I purchased at a petstore but he died anyway. So in the future either look to acquire some CB newts or check the newts over to make sure their are no sores and that they are not too skinny or bloated(unfortunately, such healthy ones are the extreme minority).

I do definitely not agree with Alberto's comment.
Buying a lot hoping some will survive means taking a lot of newts from their habitat to let them rot in pet shop aquaria hoping one or two will survive in the end. I think anyone who cares about newts would agree this is the last thing we want.

so check the sales section, these are newts that have been bred in captivity, these are much healthier and don't have nagging consciousness.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back