Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HEEELLLPP!!!

N

nayla

Hello, I have had two fire bellied newts for a couple of months now, and I've just added one today (same species). This new little dude is kind of mean; he has bitten the two other newts...is this normal or not?

J

jeff

You should give me an email or post something more specific. These things can happen but can be avoided. Is this random or during feeding? what is the behavior like specifically? You also may need to put them in separate setups until we can figure out the problem. Limbs do grow back, but its not a good thing lose them. Post back or email someone, caudata seems slow this month.

Jeff
themewbutt@yahoo.com

N

nayla

Hum, they're all CFB...so I thought they'd be OK. My first two newts usually stay on land for the moment. The first time I put the new newt with them, it directly went in the water. It then went out of the water and approched my smallest newt and bit its head. (I kind of separated them before the little one gets hurt..but I wasn't sure it was really a bite, cuz it happened pretty fast). My new newt went back in the water for a while, and then it decided to get out again, and when it saw the other newt (the third one) it decided to bite its leg. I read on the net that when they are hungry, newts tend to get more aggressive, there was a lot of newts in the tank of the petshop where I found him, maybe he learnt fight for his food there..I dunno. I hadn't fed him yet when it happened..so my guess is that he was hungry. But still, if there is something more I can do to prevent this, it would be nice to know it!!!!!
happy.gif
Thank you guys sooo much!

D

dannie

Hm, are you sure the newest one is a CFB? If it's that aggressive it might be a paddletail, they are usually sold as CFBs in petshops. I would separate them for the time being until you can figure out the cause for his biting. Try feeding and see if he's less aggressive, otherwise you may have to keep him in his own tank.

J

jennifer

If you're really 100% sure they are all CFB, I wouldn't separate them. The fact that 2 of them are often on land suggests that they are indeed CFB. Just be sure Muncher gets plenty to eat, and they should be OK.

In the future, I'd recommend quarantine for new animals - keep new ones separate for a month or more. They can arrive from the pet shop with diseases that can wipe out the established ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1