Question on leaving your newt

G

galeoto

Im gonna be going on a week vacation and im leaving a newt with an acquaintance , im giving him all the tips on care . I was just wondering will my newt adapt alrite to another house ? Is there anything i should do to prepare him ?

I dont think you need to give the newt to someone else's home to take care of it. It is actually bad, since your newt will have to adapt to new environment and new water quality. Probably will be stressed. And then when it come to you, it has to go through all the same thing again.

It is better to leave it at your own place. Make sure the temperature will never get too high. Then it should be fine. Since newt does not need frequent feeding. They can survive without eating for weeks. A week vacation should be fine.

Thanks for your thouhgts , sounds like it might not be a idea to leave him home

I agree. For one week, it's better to leave the newt at home. If you set the thermostat colder, your newt will love the cooler temperature (unless it's a species that doesn't... you didn't say what species). At a colder temperature, metabolism decreases, and the newt needs fewer calories.

By the way i wont be changing tanks im just keeping him in the same tank but bringing him to someone elses house , you think he should be alrite if hes still in the same tank

I hope you weren't planning on moving the tank with your newt still in it! That would be pretty dangerous. Listen to what the other guys are saying. To move the entire tank will be a real hassle and stressful for your newt. It can survive quite happily without food for a week so it will probably be better for all concerned if you just leave him be.

Galeoto, it is really best to just leave him at home, all things considered. A am a relatively new newt owner and was also still slightly worried about leaving my newty alone for a bit with no food, despite what all the experts here say. Take their word for it! They're very right. My guy had no food for two weeks, and he's still plump as can be swimming around as usual. Unless the newt is sick, it will be just fine. Moving it could create lots of problems (the main one being someone unexperienced caring for your newt!).

Thanks alot guys for reassuring , ill take all your advice on it . Thanks

Just feed your newt the day you leave (don't overfeed or if you do remove the uneaten food before you leave) and your newt will be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back