Help With Decisions

M

mark

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board. I have been keeping amphibians for a while now(Poison dart frogs mainly) and have never had any newts. I have a 10 gallon hex(about 19 inches tall) tank that I think would look pretty good set up for a fully aquatic newt or two . I've kept fish in it and have had it set up for close to 4 years but I guess the tank out lasted my danios.
I have a fluval 104 that I can set up instead of the aquaclear mini I currently have because I read that fluval is a better choice. Without the heater running there is about a 2 degree temperature difference at room temp so about 73-71. I have a gravel bottom and some water left, I plan to cycle most of it out and then re-test water and add some more plants.
My main question is what is the best newt for me? A few local stores have Fire Bellied newts which I am guessing are Chinese from what I have read on the boards. I am open to other newts as long as someone knows of a reputable breeder online or local to me.
Thanks for all your help!
Here is a link to some of my dart frogs
http://www.frognet.org/gallery/MarkJemison

Hi mark,

I would advise that you get Chinese Fire Bellies, for they are commen and are pretty easy to care for as long as you have a healthy one. They eat earthworms and bloodworms.They will eat other things but this is all that I feed them. I would make your set up almost totally aquatic but have a floatting island on top of the water or some plants that break the surface. This is how my set up is, and they seem to like it. Also Tarichas are a good semi aquatic species and the Taricha G is more aquatic than the Taricha T But I don't know if there are any breaders where you live but there should be for they are a native species there. Bye the way how posinous are those frogs...my little brother wants some and I'm just doing some research for him.

~John

Great thanks for your help. I've been leaning towards a fire bellied just wanted to see if there were any other options. I have read the caresheet off of this site and checked out a couple of threads about them.

As long as the frogs are born in captivity they produce no toxins, if wild caught they will still be toxic. Most frogs are CB although there have been some recent imports, so don't really have much to worry about. I know there are one or two people here that post on some poison dart frog forums I am on.
Thanks for your help, any other input would still be helpful.

Paddle Tails newts are good starter newts as well. But be careful they are agressive towards other kinds of newts.

Three more things.
Of all the aquarium overviews for what people keep their FBs in the highest I have seen is 10 inches, will mine be fine with it being deeper? I also read that they are sometimes stressed by a current, should I just try to displace the output with a rock or use a spray bar? And finally, I have a piece of cork bark that is about 3.5 inches by 4 will this be adequate for them to get out of the water on?
Thanks again, you are all a big help!
-Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back