Swamp monkeys..??

D

dane

so I went herping on saturday and when I was out I found these little guys that look like brine shrimp only they are bigger(maybe .5 inches long)

I dont know what they are so I decided to call them swamp monkeys, here are mone pictures

anyone know what they are?
83157.jpg

83158.jpg

I've always known these guys as "fairy shrimp." They tend to live in ephemeral ponds but I've seen them, or something similar, in many permanent bodies like the nearby Kinnickinnic river and a pond near my parent's house.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on them. Not the greatest source, but they have an article on everything.
happy.gif

cool, Im assuming they would be a safe snack for newts? (as long as there arent any eggs on them?)

(anyone make the connection sea monkeys(brine shrimp) to swamp monkeys? I thought it was clever
happy.gif
)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back