Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waltl won't eat

jen

Reaction score
<font face="arial,helvetica"></font><font color="0000ff"> help, my waltl has lost her appetite; she's sluggish and fat-bellied. if it's eggs, does she need a male to stimulate their release? or is she just not hungry coz she is fat? i hope she is not sick. i don't think it's bloat but i guess it could be some other illness. what to do?</font>}

J

james

My usually ravenous tiger salamander went off his food recently. There's normally no filling him up but suddenly he went off his food and ate nothing (bar a single cricket) for 4 months! Then suddenly he started eating again and now he's back to his usual starving self. I thought he might have swallowed a stone or something as I keep him on gravel.

C

crof

You could always try a different good to see if that helps? What are you feeding her just now?

jen

Reaction score
i've been feeding her bloodworms. now she is sitting on a curve in the filter tube with her nose out of the water, breathing air. i guess she is sick. having made the overfeeding mistake before, we have tried not to overfeed her but a week ago she ripped off all her skin with her mouth in one piece and gobbled it up, the day after we fed her, and has seemed overstuffed ever since. not floaty, though. she is alone in her tank - is it worth putting her in a smaller hospital tank with low water? her tank has a rock to climb out of water but she has not figured out how to do that - she just hangs onto it with her nose out of water.

C

cameron

Try termites

No salamander can resist termites

They are easy food and are taken up with the salamanders tongue like a frog

That should get walt eating again

jen

Reaction score
<font face="arial,helvetica"><font color="0000ff">thanks for the advice but now i don't think it's an appetite problem anymore because of the way she is sticking her nose in the air. i want to know whether to leave her or move her.</font></font>

jen

Reaction score
<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font> she died.</font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1