Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Newt with Infection

mike

Reaction score
If anyone could help that would be great.

I just purchased a Spanish Ribbed Newt over one month ago and everything was fine until 3 days ago. She had two white cotton-like patches on her and she became quickly lethargic. I removed her from the 29L tank (whom with she shares with 1 crayfish and some community fish) and built a dirt quarantine for her using new moist potting soil. I also cleaned off the infections with diluted hydrogen peroxide and applied some healing ointment (without pain killer) on the first day. On day two althougth the wounds did not grow and no cotton substance reappeared, she is very, very weak and does not eat at all for days now. I gave her a very brief antibiotic bath (a couple of mins) and then returned her back to the dirt quarantine with some blood worms in front of her face with the hopes that she would eat, but she has not. She opens and closes her mouth frequently appearing to gasp for air or something. It is day three now and she is still alive but in rough shape. The wounds don't appear to be infected but her health, appetite, and behaviour are all still terrible. I have treated the wounds again and placed her back into the quarantine atop moist paper towels. What should I do? I don't know whatelse I could try. Do I just wait to see if she makes it? Should I return her to the aquarium? Will she dehydrate? Please help. Thank you.

Mike

I

iced01

The newt should not share an aquarium with other fish/crayfish. If it is an aquatic newt like mine, then I would put it back in some water from the aquarium (no other animals) and dangle worms in front of it with tweezers. But you should get a second opinion as well.

mike

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I do have an aquatic newt, it has been in the tank for 5 weeks (without land) with no problems and actually seemed to thrive previous until now. I have a 10L backup tank that I put it in partially filled with aquarium water and a side of 'land' just above the water level. When I placed it in the water, it crawled in slowly, but then crawled out of the water onto the land and remains there on the moist paper towel. I tried to hold the blood worms in front of it to eat but it just turns its head away. For now, it seems to prefer land, but I am worried about dehydration. Can anyone offer some further suggestion? Thank you so much for the earlier feedback.

J

jennifer

Mpetrik, is the newt still the same? If it's on wet towels, don't worry about dehydration. They drink through their skin. Continue the ointment daily. The only other suggestion is force feeding, if you're willing to try. But I wouldn't recommend that yet, as they can go for a couple of weeks without eating.

Was this newt obtained as an adult? Do you know if it was wild caught or captive bred? Is it thin or normal weight?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1