He's looking like he may die, he is my freind

J

jeff

I was working with you guys in the other post, but now things are going downhill fast. His skin looks very old and rubbery/wrinkly. When I set him down, he just slumps and his arms buckle in and his eyes, one especially, is closing. I have no where to take him and I can't seem to figure out what is going on. The tail looks ok, but he just seems to be dieing. He is the most wonderful pet and freind, his peronality gave me hope when there was none. I curse myself for not knowing enough or not being forceful enough with these immoral vets who refused to see him. Somone mentioned salt in the last post which I never heard of for newts. If anyone can help me anymore has any other advice just tell me what to do. Please help him is you know anything, I don't have a camara right now, so here he is last month being his happy self http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/40311.html?1122959336

I found information from Ed about the salt "The duration of the salt bath depends on the severity of the issue. I am aware of amphibians (including caudates) being kept in hypertonic salt solutions of as high as 15 ppt as part of a theraputic regimen for weeks. I have personally kept caudates in hypertonic amphibian ringers solutions for more than 5 days.
Depending on the amphibian matching temperature may be the only part of the treatment required as long as the pHs are not too extreme."

I left my aqarium salt in bellingham, I am going out to try to find more, but I think its going to be too late. What can cause a newt to get so sick so fast, all I did was move the whole inclousure down state, and then did massive siphoning and water changing. What If the new water has flouride in it?

You can use spring water that is sold in stores by the gallon and that will eliminate your worries about the fluoride content in the water. GOOD luck with your little guy, I know you are doing all you can possibly do, bless your heart!
angel.gif

He just looks so sick, his head is drooping and he fell of his rock while trying to walk. He must have something very wrong with him, what can make him this sick?? I know the tail end could be a little infected, but HE IS F*CKING DIEING!!! The vets won't take him untill monday. <u> HELP ME TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO!!! I LOVE HIM!!</u>

I still have little knowledge about Amphibian diseases. But I hope it will recover. I understand how worry you are. Maybe you can tell us more about what happened in between the healthy day and today. Tell us more about any changes in the water quality and temperature. Is it still accepting food?

I have read the articles, but they told me very little new info. At this point I can't see a relationship fromt he tail tip to the overall sickness, I don't have the right kind of salt with me, but I am going to try a saline nasal spray, its worth a shot. In 4 months, the only thing that changed is the tank was moved, and then siphoned out with a turky baster. I added more dechlorinated water, and got the filter back up to capacity. He was acting strange 2 days before the move, and there are no tank mates able to "bite" off the tip of the tail. He seems slightly bloated, but I can see his hips and ribs. He is so slugish that you need to help him to lay down so he wont collaspe. He is moving around, but his head is down and arms mostly limp. I have tried feeding him directly, and he has eaten in the last 3 days, however, he didn't attack the food as usual, but it was a new room and environment, so the little cynops munched a fair ammount of food before dissapearing again.

He seems much more sad in his hospitable tank, but I just don't know what to do. He had a rough childhood before I could seize him, so he could be just due for a short life. He is just not himself anymore. His eyes just look at me with this emotion of pain and uncertinty. I feel like he is letting go and it breaks my heart.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on September 11, 2005)

Contact and take him to one of the following ARAV vets. You will need to figure out which is the closest to you.
James C. Little
All Creatures Animal Hospital, Inc.
4091 Stae Hwy.3 West
Bremerton, WA 98312

Dr Michel R. Jolivet
Burien Veterinary Hospital
14628 Ambaum Blvd SW
Burien, WA 98166-1810

Dr Cathy A. Johnson-Delaney
13813 65th Ave W #7
Edmonds, WA 98026-3517

Heather B. Stewart, VMD
602 3rd Ave S
Kent, WA 98031

Dr Willard Nelson
Exotic Pet & Bird Clinic
903 5th Ave STE 101
Kirkland, WA 98033-6348

Dr. Jennifer Graham
Veterinary Specialty Center of Seattle
20115 44th Ave West
Lynnwood, WA 98036

Amanda H McNabb
3115 170th Street SW
Lynnwood, WA 98037

Dr Michael Garner
Northwest Zoo Path
654 W Main St
Monroe, WA 98272

Dr Christine A. Cannon
23502 56th Ave W
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043-5204

Charles W. Coleman, DVM
Coleman Animal Healing Center PS
621 W Clark St
Pasco, WA 99301

Nancy Lanning
Kindred Spirits Animal Sanctuary
4015 Lookout Lane N.E.
Poulsbo, WA 98370

Dr Jocelyn Penner DACLAM
P.O. Box 999
MSIN K4-10
Richland, WA 99352

Dr Debra A. Scheuerman
Phinney Ridge Animal Hosp
8205 Greenwood Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103-4232

Frank L. Slavens
Woodland Park Zoo
PO Box 30744
Seattle, WA 98103-0744

Kelly E. Helmick
Woodland Park Zoo
601 N 59 St
Seattle, WA 98103

Dr Tracy Bennett
Bird & Exotic Clinic
4019 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103-7809

Doris A. Sievers
PO Box 30549
Spokane, WA 99223

Mary Pritzl
Exotic Orphans Rescue & Research
3525 E 20h Ave
Spokane, WA 99223

Evelyn Wilson
2126 254th St NW
Stanwood, WA 98292-9232

Dr Michael H. Jones
Jones Animal Hospital
3322 S Union Ave
Tacoma, WA 98409-3138

Robyn Hauser, DVM
Banfield Pet Hospital
7603 NE Vancouver Plaza Dr
Vancouver, WA 98661

Dr. Alexandra M McLaughry, MVB
East Mill Plain Animal Hospital
9705 East Mill Plain Blvd
Vancouver, WA 98664

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on September 11, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back