New newt problem

J

jake.

I got 3 firebellys today and when i put them in the tank 2 of them were very active and the other just sat on the stone i put him on. He has moved from the stone. When i put him in the water he swims to the stone. Any suggestions? Also if the newt doesnt eat is there anyway i could make it eat? Thanks}

That is pretty normal behavior. New newts sometimes take a while to eat. However, you can dangle chopped earthworms to try to tempt them.

should i dangle the worms in the water or out, i also have a bunch of stones piled up against the corner of the tank, the newts seem to love to wiggle through the stones but i am afraid they will get stuck. Is it normal?

Dangle wherever he is. If he doesn't take it, just leave the wiggling piece in front of him and leave the room for a while. Come back, and see if he has eaten it. Newts can be very deliberate feeders. They will slowly put their nose to the food, then snap after a while. SOmetimes they hesitate a long time, so be patient, especially with new animals. Also, dangle the worm/place it just in front, but not touching the newt. A sudden touch might startle it into not eating.
Good luck!
Chris

This thread has been moved here from the "Fire-bellied Newts (Cynops, Paramesotriton, etc)" discussion area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back