Vacation Feeding?

R

ross

I got a wonderful little warty newt for my birthday about six weeks ago. I've been faithfully reading this forum and all the information I could find on keeping him happy. I've learned so much (with more to learn each day). I feed him a variety of foods, brine shrimp, red wigglers and some frozen foods as well. I feed him twice a week (Wednesday and Saturday night). I usually feed him 1 worm and a few shrimp (he loves to hunt). He always has a great appetite (sometimes I wonder if I'm underfeeding).

My question is we are planning on going out of town later this summer for 10 days, will he be OK?

Will a move to a small tank that I can transport to a friends house be better so he can be fed there?

he could well be fine for 10 days, especially if you give him a few big feeds before you go. if you decide to leave him with a friend, make sure they know what they are doing.

You might want to make sure he keeps at relatively cool temps while you're gone to around 15º celcius, because they will be less hungry when they are colder.

Like William said, he'll be fine as long as you fatten him up a little before you go. I'm more worried about the temperatures, myself. How do you plan on keeping him cool?

Thanks for everyone's input. I will give him a few extra treats in the week before we leave.

As far as keeping him cool, we intend to leave the A/C on downstairs where he lives, it won't be any different than his temps are now (around 72 F).

Thanks again.

try to get them a bit lower than that. Like under 70F. That would be a better temp to keep him at all the time.

Cooler than 70F?, hhmm, my wife's not going to like that, she already has to wear a sweater in the house.

Maybe time to start researching some coolers.

Thanks to everyone, awesome site.

Once a warty newt is healthy and well-established, the temp can be above 70F. I kept mine at a water temp of about 75F in summer. In the FAQ at caudata.org/cc there are some suggestions that will help keep the water temp a couple of degrees lower than the ambient air.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back