Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cant find cause of problem!

K

kenny

Ok last night my Fire Bellied Newt was fine water temps at 70 degrees, I have guppies and ghost shrimp in the tank with the newt, but i come back to my room today, and i find the little guy tipped over on the bottom! But he is still alive, I noticed he had what looks like ick around his body in a few places, but im aware of ick only being aquatic disease for fish rather newts, I have sinced placed him on his stone out of water so he can breath, he is not supporting himself, and seems to choke for air...I have no clue as to why he is on his death bed, the only thing i can think of is the small wound on his tail may have become infected, but doesnt look like it. I have a 10 Gallon Tank running a whisper 10 gallon filter, 1/3 water, and a basking rock, about 10 guppies, 2 flounders, ghost shrimp, and the Newt, all running on distilled treated water.

K

kenny

ok i just discovered that the guppies in my tank are starting to flash, I just did a water change with distilled 3 days ago, but I suppose its high nitrates, Could this be the cause?

J

joseph

Are you using only distilled water in the tank?

I would remove those flounders if I were you. From what I remember they get about 5 inches...two of them would be pretty cramped in the ten not counting everyone else.

J

jeff

Those fish arn't going to help anything so get him away from them. If the newt looks stressed or sick put it in a seperate container. How hot is the tank? I have no idea where you are but my tank hits 80 every day at about 9:00 am and I have to start with the icepacks. Heat makes things a huge pain, beacuse everything in the little ecosystem is effected. My newts have shedded before during a water change that took to long, my c.o got a little warm and just puffed up and scared me half to death. He later shed his skin and was fine.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on July 18, 2005)

J

jennifer

First off, a 10-gallon tank that is only 1/3 water is too small for much of anything. From the sound of it, the newt is unlikely to survive. As far as the cause is concerned, it's hard to say without knowing a lot more details: how long has the tank been set up? how long have you had the newt? etc.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1