Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mandarin Salamander

S

shonagh

Hi, I have a mandarin salamander, and being new to keeping amphibians am generally worrying I'm doing everything wrong! Abe doesn't seem to be eating particularly, but is still maintaining a very rounded shape. Is this normal? How often on average to salamanders eat, what do they like best and should this species always look portly? Tips, please!

J

jennifer

I would say in general that healthy Tylototriton do have a portly shape. However, there is something called bloat, which is obviously bad. Hard to say without seeing the newt. What are you trying to feed it?

S

shonagh

Unfortunately, the people that had him before me seemed to feed him entirely on waxworm pretty much. (I'm pretty sure that much fat content isn't good for ANY species!)He doesn't seem uncomfortable,I actually let him have a little swim in my bath yesterday because it was so hot!

*Gah! If only I had a digital camera!!*

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, Andy!
happy.gif

(Message edited by Cat_Lady on May 12, 2006)

A

andy

Hi there, a better staple food for them is suitably sized earthworms. I do however feed mine occasional waxworms just for a bit of variety.
Also, as the weather warms up i'd try to find a cool spot in your house for her.

S

shonagh

He's in a corner on top of the double stack of vivs. (I can slide him across to the side that doesn't have the heat mat under it if that makes sense!)His home isn't in direct sunlight or anything.(Far from it, having just glanced at where he is!) Anyway, I did notice that the two earthworms I found for him disappeared, despite being told he'd only eat waxworm by his original owner; the poor thing's been sold twice in just over a month! Going to do a spot of digging later, see what I can rustle up for him!! Could he get distressed by the amount of upheaval he's had? I know that's an odd question, but some animals would!

J

joan

He may well be stressed. I would let him relax somewhere cool and dark to settle in to his new home, and continue to offer food without too much bother. If he is healthy, you should have no problems.

S

shonagh

Ok, he's been moved to the cooler side of the vivs and I've put him some titchy earthworms in. Either he'll eat them or they'll get lost in his container! Hopefully the first one!

Thanks for your advice.
lick.gif

A

andy

Whats the temp in your shanjings enclosure? When you say vivs do you mean reptile vivs? i'd take a reading just to get an idea of the temp...as Joan said i'd put her somewhere cool and dark just to let it relax a little.At the moment my Shanjings are on the floor where it's a little cooler. Adults can take worms a good few inches long too...though i don't use the red types myself, i go more for the whitish coloured ones.

Also, you say you put him in the bath for a swim, be aware that there's all sort of nasty chlorine and such in water straight from the tap...it's not too good for sensitive animals such as newt. I use aged tap water, a lot of the chemicals in the water evaporate over the space of a day or two.
If the water was very cold too i guess it could create a bit of a thermal shock.
Anyway, just some thoughts.....
all the best with it!

J

jennifer

It's hard to say if the fat is healthy or unhealthy without a photo. Any chance you could borrow a digital camera? As a basis of comparison, here is a photo of a healthy Tylototriton verrucosus. This is not too fat:

64672.jpg

S

shonagh

Actually, looking at that photo, he looks about right! I got a little concerned about bloat, but when I saw a picture of a salamander with the illness, its chin was all bloated too, whereas Abes' isn't. **Phew!**

One of his earthworms has gone, whether he ate it or not, I don't know, but I'm hoping so.

S

shonagh

**WHOOPS!Just noticed my smiley emoticon has turned into a lip licking, eyebrow raising face, not just a smile as intended!**

J

jennifer

I hadn't noticed the emoticon. Maybe it just means that you find our advice palatable and are swallowing it whole
rofl.gif
Good luck with your sal!

M

mark

Hi Shonagh, they do get portly when they are well fed. You can easily train him to take worm chunks from tweezers which can be a great way to monitor exactly what he's eating.
64759.jpg

S

shonagh

I have tried using tweezers, but he's a stubborn little guy!!

Any tips?

S

shonagh

Hmmm...also, on my other post people are saying he's a sociable type of salamander, but all Abe does is sit under his cork bark!

Could he be too cold or something? (Random guess, maybe he's just REALLY lazy!)

S

shonagh

**BUMP! Couple more questions on the above posts! Advice, please!!**

M

mark

Hiding is perfectly natural behaviour. I have one that hides all the time and another that spends all day sitting on top of his hide waiting for food. It depends on the animal. Is he feeding now?

S

shonagh

I'm not sure. A couple of meal worms have been missing from his "plate" when I've checked and I looked for them when I cleaned him out, but couldn't see them. I don't find this to be conclusive, though so I'd still appreciate any tips on tweezer feeding him so I can be certain.

Abe's my first salamander(I have other pets, but I've never had a salamander!)and although I read up on his species a lot, I still find myself worrying that I'm not looking after him right!

(Message edited by Cat_Lady on May 24, 2006)

A

andy

A lot of the time my Shanjing will come to the front of their tank when i enter the room as they learn to associate the big shape (ie, us!) with food.

Personally, i wouldn't feed him meal worms....earthworms are a much better staple, along with these my animals also get waxworms as a treat.
Also, if the temp is very cold your animal wont be too interested in food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!