Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby t. granulosa with swelling

L

larah

One of my CB tarichas suddenly developed a big bulge on the right side of its body. I have removed it from the tank where I house another sibling. I'm not sure whether the swelling is air or fluid. It appeared a week ago and though the swelling varies in size a little, it hasn't gone away. Both babies have been eating primarily live blackworms, and up until just recently, were moving around and eating well. Now neither one of them has an appetite and they seem weak. The one with the bulge looks deformed, especially when it tries to walk or swim. The other sibling looks fine but has also started to move awkwardly and I'm worried it is headed down the same path as the other one. I thought maybe calcium deficiency/MBD, but it seems awfully sudden and I don't know how that weird swelling fits in. Could it be an infection? Is there a medication or antibiotic I should use? Unfortunately there are no competent vets around where I live and these babies are also very small. Below are some pics I took today. I put a white paper towel under the tank so you can see the swelling clearly. (The reflections are from the small amount of water in the tank & the greyish halo around the newt is because it's shedding). Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do for them?
bulge1.jpg

bulge2.jpg

bulge3.jpg

J

joan

I just had a T.grans with a similar problem. Only xrays will be able to tell you if it's fluid or air. Either way, you'll need a vet consult. I had to put mine on antibiotics and antiprotozoal medication. The most likely cause of this swelling is gastroenteritis.

P

pin-pin

Yes, this animal definitely needs to see a veternarian to get the swelling reduced or else the outlook is grim.

Try to find a veternarian soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1