Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ph and question

T

travis

I just did a ph test on my newt tank. It's been about a week, i used spring water purchased from the store and the ph is between 7.4 and 7.8 depending on where in the tank I tested. Is this ideal for my eastern newts?? Will it affect their eating habits?

Also, i just noticed (for the second time) one of the little guys was under the water and had both back legs essentially floating upward from his body. I tried to get a picture but he was rather camera shy about it. Should I be worried at this behavior?

Thanks guys and gals. You are a true help!!

J

jennifer

For most newts, I would say that this pH is perfectly good. However, I've had bad luck keeping Notophthalmus in somewhat alkaline water, and it's possible that the pH *might* have been the cause (or not, I don't really know).

Is there a reason you don't use your own tap water (suitably dechlorinated)?

T

travis

I worry about the tap water here. We have had some issues with pipes and city-wide orders not to drink the water for a certain duration... i think spring water is just a safer alternative. I keep fish with the tap water here and have not had any problems. I truly want to raise these newts and allow them to live good lives. All my pets are like children to me and i just want them to be safe.

Good news is that I checked on my newts about five minutes ago and caught a glimpse of the skinny one eating a live tubifex worm. Hooray!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1