Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! I saved a salamander from certain doom! and I need help identifiying it!

K

karolina

I have just joined this site and I need help, I have "rescued" a salamander from the evil little children down the street well they found a salamander and were throwing it! and handling it very roughly and it ended up on top there mom's car so I took the newt from the car top and brought it home while the little brats screamed there heads off wanting it back. It didn't move much at all but once I left in a small plastic container for about 2 hours it seemed healthy to me and I could not get a grip on it, happily I can say this salamander has no injuries. I unfortunately do not know what type of salamander it is! I have tried to find out but the library was closed to day and I can't go there until next weekend, so I was wondering if someone could help me identify it and/or give me some tips on taking care of it. I am keeping it in a plastic container with a lid with holds it's in a rectangle shape length of it is 18cm, width is 14 and height is 15cm, it bought it at a pet store to keep my hamster in while I clean his cage but now I have a hamster ball for that, I bought this in a pet store and it is suitable for frog/salamanders. I have some moist and folded paper towels on the floor of it and shredded moist paper towels in a corner and the top of a lid with water in it and a few of those oval jewels in fish tanks, my room is down stairs is my house and I am the only one down stairs and under my wood floor there is pure cement and my heater unfortunately doesn't work too well so I have adapted to sleeping in a very cold room and It's cold even in the summer! So I hope salamanders like cold rooms, well please look at this 'info sheet' of the salamander- (it has pictures, descriptions and measurements)
http://img17.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc73&image=593_lizzz_info_jpg.JPG

I could not use most of this site because my mom has like really harsh parental control for my brother because he's like 8 so I could not use some parts of this site please help me!
(I am really sorry this is so long) and my name Is Karolina you can call me Kai/dragon/orange those are my nick names if you want)

oh and I could not access the gender determining part of this site so I have no idea if this is a male or female can someone please help me with finding out what gender it is?

J

jeff

I'm 99.9% certain that's a long-toed salamander, Ambystoma macrodactylum. They are a common species where you live.

W

william

it's the only ambystoma that looks like that,. the only other salamander that i can think of that lives in your area with a similar colouration is plethodon idahoensis, but the head looks a lot like ambystoma so i don't think it's that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!