Buying newts online

J

jonathan

I know that it is generally frowned upon to buy newts from pet stores because of all the problems with them. What are some good sites to buy them online? Thanks!

Thats really a hard question to answer. Your best bet would be to keep checking the For Sale board or something along those lines. Its not to say that there are not good dealers out there, but the quality range of the animals over the internet makes it a real gamble when ordering. You could maybe check the kingsnake classifieds, Michael Shrom is usually selling some, and the quality is good from him. Really your best bet would be to go to a snake show in Pennsylvania, I think theres quite a few. You can check kingsnake.com for that too. If you're going to buy online, make sure you find a reputable dealer, someone who didn't just appear out of the blue, and try to get captive bred, or at least long term captives. Sorry, didn't really answer you question, Alex.

Shipping to the States from UK would be a deal killer for most casual owners.

Are online dealer CB dealer or WC?

I think that is the main factor of the quality of the animal.

(Message edited by achiinto on March 14, 2006)

That depends, some sell WC and others send CB. The website that you visit should have an indication as to whether they are, or are not WC. Dartfrog & Pollywog usually say on their site. Hope this helps!

Biological supply companies sell WC eastern newts online but they dont overnight unless you specify. I got some from Ward's once and they were healthy.

Sarah, I love dartfrog.co.uk, but as far as I know they have a strict policy of no overseas shipping. I would be willing to pay the high shipping costs, but according to their site, they won't. Right now, pollywog.co.uk won't ship animals over either. The biggest problem is in America we don't have dedicated amphibian dealers like Europe. Reptiles are much more in vogue here, not so much amphibs, so almost everything is wild caught. Alex.

Hi Jon,
You should try to come to one of the Hamburg, Pa. shows or IAD. I see you aren't to far away. What newts are you interested in?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Michael Shrom wrote on Wednesday, 15 March, 2006 - 00:37 :</font>

""<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Hey Michael! I'd love to come check out some shows, I didn't even know there WERE such things! I'll have to get info on where/when they are.

The next Hamburg, Pa. show is April 22. Their are usually w.c. and c.b salamanders at the Hamburg show. IAD is May 5-7. IAD is a conference with 2 days of vendors sales. Their are no w.c. salamanders at IAD. Their are only c.b. ones their. International Amphibian Days is mostly a dart frog show but their are salamanders and other amphibians their.

Thanks for the information! I found a show in Lancaster this weekend that I'm going to, the "Lancaster County Reptile Show." http://www.pythons.com/lanshow/
I don't know how good it'll be for amphibians, but I guess I'm gonna find out!

Hi Jonathon,
If you are going to lancaster and want to see salamanders you should just stop at my house. I Have to be at the show to pick up some animals but should be home by noon. email me privately if you want to stop over. I'm about 15 minutes from the show.
Michael

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back