Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae rearing method recomended

R

rodrigo

Hi..i know this has been discussed, but i´d apreciate it if someone could share their experience with rearing Cynops orientalis larvae...what works best?? Total water changes every 1-2 days, using aged tap water???? or cycling a tank for them???
I guess it´s too late for cycling a tank....though if i used materials from the parent´s tank it could be ready, couldn´t it??
Also, with the total water change, it´s better to separate the larvae in small groups, or keep them all together...???
Would it be better to use water from the cycled tank, or tap water??
I´m sorry for asking this things again...but i´m a nub and i want to do things right....

morg

Reaction score
Hello Rodrigo
I have had both good and bad results using both methods you talk about through the years so cannot advise you as to which is the best method for raising newt larvae.
However the way I go about it nowadays[Im presently raising Cynops orientalis from eggs], is to start off in groups of 5 or so larvae in small tubs with aged tap water[half changed daily], a small amount of java moss, and add moina,and baby daphnia.
lots of users of this forum have had excellent results using newly hatched brine shrimp as a first food for larvae.
I have never used these before, but have set up a hatchery , and will be setting up a small tub of larvae to feed mainly on brine shrimp, and will see how these go

After the first 2-3 weeks,all the larvae will be put into a small tank, complete with plants etc and fed on daphnia, grindal worms, whiteworms, small bloodworms etc.

cheers and good luck

R

rodrigo

Thank you very much Morg. I´ll try that. First, separated groups, and then all together. Though i may set two tanks to separate the bigger ones and the smaller ones...
I hope brine shrimps works for me...never used it...i kinda fear to make a mess...:S hehe

C

cole

I am using freshly hatched brine shrimp to feed my larvae. I have them 5, to a 6 litre plastic tub with java moss and elodia . I feed daily and they eat very well. I had 14 together at first , but one lost a leg and I think it was because they think of eachother as food. I take out the plants to feed and change half to most of the water daily. Every two days I transfer them to a clean tub as I find it very hard to get rid of all the left over brine shrimp and don't want to foul the water. This is my first time raising C.Orientalis and I haven't lost one yet. It is thanks to everyone's help on the forum though so the credit goes to them . Good luck and have fun I do.

morg

Reaction score
Cole
uneaten brine shrimp left over in the tubs is the reason Ive never tried using them before.
Moina and daphnia will live in the tubs untill eaten, so I am able to keep the larvae in the same tubs with just part of the water changed daily.
However, both moina and daphnia cultures run out quickly when raising newt larvae.
I always hate these first few weeks in raising any newt larvae, but as soon as I can get then onto larger food items, I know that most[if not all] will survive untill metamorphosis

C

cole

Mine are all 4 weeks hatched . They all have little stubbies for back legs. When do you think I could start feeding them larger food. There is no live food in Edmonton that I can find except earth worms. The only other thing is frozen foods. Sorry Rodrigo for being a thread jacker

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1