Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Handling

H

hailee

Ok...i just posted a topic about algea. But he isn't eating well either because whenever i am in the room he hides. How do i know that? I look through the crack in my door and i see him out of the water or swimming around. When i walked in he hides. Should i start picking him up for him to get used to me? Since i need to hand feed the worms, and live stuff i give him, or try.

K

kaysie

Handling is bad. There are oils and goo on your hands that may be irritating to their skin. Use forceps to feed, or a paperclip (skewer the worm), and eventually he will recognize you as GOD-The Bringer of Food.

J

jess

My newts used to never like me either but then i started feeding them with tweezers. Somehow they related the food to the tweezers to me, so now when I go near the tank my adults come over to see if I'm going to feed them. So find where he's hiding and dangle the food in front of him with some tweezers. If he swims away, follow him with the food. He'll figure it out eventually.

K

kaysie

Although its best not to "hit" him with the food, as this will startle him. Often (if possible) I back the worm off a bit when the animal goes to chomp at it. I feel it makes them more agressive feeders. The paperclip technique works well too. as the worm is writhing from being skewered (i feel gruesome now...).

You could also try live aquatic foods (blackworms, tubifex) if you can get them.

Does he hide when you walk in, or when you turn on the light? He may be startled by the sudden bright light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1