Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How Do I know?

J

josh

How Do I Know If They Are Mating or not and How Do I Know if 1 is pregnant?

B

benjamin

Ok, well newts do not "mate" like mammals and reptiles or frogs or fish. First you need to know if you have a guy and a girl. Newts, also at only certain times of the year. If you just got your animals it's very unlikely that are already breeding or ready to breed having just gone through the horrors of the pet trade. Different newts breed in different ways so it would help if you told what type they were.

I assuming you have chinese firebellies? Well if you do, then unlike other types of newts they don't develop much fancy breeding adornments, other then the cloaca of the male (the cloaca is the slit between their back legs and is a hole for defecating, urinating and reproducing) swells and looks kind of "hairy". The cloaca is always larger than the female's but during breeding time this difference is much more obvious. The male will sniff the female alot and then violently fan his tail in her face. This is the only part of newt breeding which is obvious from a distance. Newt breeding does not involve copulation or spawning, rather the male deposits a packette of sperm after preparing the female to recieve it through tail fanning. The female recieves it and takes it in through her cloaca where the sperm is released to fertilise her eggs. She lays the eggs several days later. The female will get considerably larger before laying.

If you don't have chinese firebellies then it's not the same as what explained, though most newt breeding involves a spermatophore.

J

josh

sorry ben, I dont Have chinese Fire bellies I just have 2 male and female Fire bellies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1