Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suicidal Newts???

J

jonathan

Hey guys...

OK, I have four fire-bellied newts. One of them acts pretty normal, but three of them have me concerned. Let me explain the housing: I have a 29 gallon aquarium with guppie feeders (small), a few rocks (nothing sharp), and gravel at the bottom. Two turtle docks provide a good amount of land, and on one of these, I have a coconut hut for hiding. The three newts in question will all go in there, and sit there and dry out. Tonight, I caught them in there in a big newt-pile, all wrapped up, and I honestly thought they were dead...when I touched them, they barely moved, but I pushed them into the water, and all three untangled and became very active. It's like they love the water, and seem healthy in it, until they somehow get out and into that hut, and then decide they don't want to go on.

Any suggestions? I'm worried that if I miss them one day, I'll end up with three dead newts.

J

jonathan

Thanks for the advice. I will have to acclimate them to the water better. For now, that hut is gone!

andrew

Reaction score
Why is this considered normal? I just got two C. orientalis (cute little guys) and when I placed them in the tank I put them on the shore so they could decide whether or not to go in the water. They both decided against the water and went straight into a cave. Is it that they are young and prefer the land?

Also why the need to force them into the water? Is it bad for them to be out of the water?
Thanks

J

jennifer

C. orientalis, beyond the age of a year or so, are quite adaptable to land versus water. There are a number of circumstances that cause them to prefer land. Young ones will tend to prefer land more (but are adaptable), and under stress or illness they will usually head for land. Once their skin becomes dry, they will avoid water all the more.
The main reason for encouraging them to be aquatic is that (1) most people simply prefer aquatic setups to terrariums, and (2) they are easier to feed and usually grow faster if they live in the water.

andrew

Reaction score
I see, thanks. I didnt know that. Why would they avoid water if their skin is all dry? Does it bother them or hurt them to be in the water at this point? Seems counter productive.

J

jennifer

I think (pure speculation here) that when their skin dries out, it changes somewhat to adapt them to living on land. It probably becomes more resistant to water loss in preparation for terrestrial living. So it's not immediately easy for them to jump back in the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!