Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick salamandar

D

don

Greetings all!

I'm glad I found a good source for information. I have been looking for a while now for a nice place to share info on my Tiger Salamanders. I am in dire straits at the moment with Ralph!

I have two Sal's. One is perfectly healthy with a great appetite. Very active. The other however, who I named Ralph, started out the same.. but over the last few weeks has gone lethargic and will not eat. He also has gotten little black dots over his skin and on the underneath a swollen area that looks odd like you can also see blood or something under the skin. This is between his rear legs. He also has a bit of discolouration on his tail. I have read all sorts of stories about Rana-virus and other things that could possibly be the cause of this but I really have no clue. If anyone could help me please respond fast.

As I said I have two Sal's one is very healthy the other is very sick. I keep them both in the same tank and they generally sleep on top of each other. I have recently placed Ralph ( the sick Sal ) in its own little tank because I was afraid he might have a virus.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1