Newts And Salamanders The Book

S

suzanne

I have just started to read "Newts and Salamanders: A complete Pet Owner's Manual" I was told that it was the best book that I could read being a beginner! But the thing is I have a Newt and the book is Salamander this and salamander that....I dont really know if this book will help me any....Did it help anyone else with there Newt? is the care of newts and Salamanders that similar that this book applies?
Thanks in advance!

i found this book very helpful, and i would recommend it to all keepers.

newts and salamanders are very similar, i think i'm right in saying that there is no real scientific difference between a newt and a salamander, on the whole newts spend more time in water and salamanders are more independent of water, but there are exceptions.

hope that helped!

I read somewhere on here that all newts are salamanders, but not all salamanders are newts.

yep got it in one

all newts are in the family salamandridae (notice the irony) newts are in the genuses:
cynops
lissotriton
mesotriton
triturus
tylototriton
pachytriton
paramensotriton
echinotriton
notophthalmus
taricha
euproctus
nuerergus
pleurodeles

salamanders are basically everything else, so the families:
rhyacotritonidae
proteidae
hynobiidae
plethodontidae
cryptobranchidae
ambystomidae
dicamptodontidae
amphiumidae
sirenidae
and genuses in salamandridae:
salamandra
salamandrina
chinoglossa
mertensiella
lyciasalamandra

hope that helps

(Message edited by will_j on April 13, 2005)

yep i have also found this book very helpful.i agree with william this book did have good information 4 a first time newt keeper.i have 2 cynops orientalis (chinese fire belly newts)and this book really was helpful 2 that type.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back