Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Goldfish and newt

S

sandra

Hello. I got a small (2 inch gold fish). I have a fire belly newt that is about 2.5 inches long. I put the fish in froogles tank yesterday and they both seem to be doing fine. Neither of them are too small to be eaten by the other or too big to eat the other. Froogle spent most of the time at the surface of the water on his floating plants but now that the fish is inside the water he is mostly under the water looking at the fish and sometimes tries to follow it. It is okay to have both of them together?

S

sandra

Oh and i forgot to mention that the fish stays clear of the newt wont go near it to peck it or anything.

J

jennifer

Overall, its safer not to have the fish, but it's not absolutely impossible. A goldfish will not directly harm a newt. The main danger posed by goldfish is the amount of waste they excrete. For one goldfish, the tank should be at least 10 gallons. I would recommend testing for ammonia often during the first month, and testing for ammonia and nitrate at least monthly thereafter. Don't skimp on the recommended 20%/week partial water changes. To keep the goldfish and newt together, I highly recommend that you read everything you can find on the subject of water quality, so that you understand what is necessary to keep the water healthy for both of them.

A

abrahm

To add on to what Jennifer said, goldfish are big mess producing fish, but they are also large fish. Your goldfish is small right now but they can obtain large sizes quite quickly. Your average fancy (globular or round) goldfish will eventually need a 30 gallon aquarium to contain their 6 inch lengths. Comet goldfish and other "torpedo" shaped goldfish, which are more streamlined in shape, will need a bigger aquarium due to their longer length of up to 12 inches and greater speed.

If you feel the need to keep fish with your newt it would be best to keep fish with a smaller full length like white cloud minnows.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1