Dried green moss

simon

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Simon
Does anyone know why dried green moss either dries out really fast or turns and an un-attractive yellow? Even why I do manage to keep it moist, it turns yellow. (This is why I want live moss).
Thanks

Some of the green moss is dyed that color and the dye is not stable and begins to break down. In some of the green mosses, it is due to the breakdown of the chlorophyll pigments.

If you want to grow moss in your enclosure, then I would suggest getting some java moss as this will grow both under water as well as in moist conditions.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The stuff I use is all natural no dyes, so I suppose it must the chlorophyll breaking down. After a few hours though? I already found a good live moss store through this forum, but unfortunately I'll have to wait until the fall to get live moss from there and Java Moss from anyone.
Thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,

If you have a strong flourescent light source then you can grow your own moss. Mix a 50/50 mixture of peat moss and silica play sand and place it in a shallow pot. Set the pot into a tray of water, cover with a plastic bag and place it under the lights and keep moist. The moss spores should begin to germinate in about 45-60 days and show good growth a month or two later. Once the moss is growing well, you can then plant the moss into the enclosures. This moss grows very well as long as it is kept moist.

Ed

Wow, thanks Ed! So just any peat moss will do, or just a specific type?
Simon

I have successfully used a variety of different peat mosses that I have purchased through the big box stores.

Ed

Yes that should do the trick. You could also try using dried sphagnum(orchid moss) in a similar way if you want live sphagnum moss. The green moss in my Cynops ensicauda morph container came from a pot of carnivorous plants I grow.

There are a few different kinds of sphagnum moss; you mean the green kind, right Joseph?
Thanks you both Joseph and Ed

It is labeled as "orchid moss" at home depot. Not green...when dead. The "Green moss" at Home Depot will probably ressurect nicely also...they claim it is collected from the Pacific NW.

To grow sphagnum some CP growers suggest after it ressurects leave it in a ziploc bag under a table(so it gets moderate light)with peat and sand and distilled water. After a few months, take the bag out, get clippings, and put it back. Repeat... Others grow it in trays.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on June 30, 2006)

There are two kinds I have under different brands(they are are both dead), but they are literally the same. The one I mostly use is the stuff I said at the beginning of the thread turns yellow quickly (the other does the same thing). I think it's about the same as the one you use, it's marketed as Garden moss to put in plant pots. You say how to grow after ressurection, but to do that do you mix it in with the silica sand like Ed does with peat moss, or otherwise?
Thanks Joseph

I think laying it on top would be fine.

How moist of an area are you needing the moss for? If it is very moist/almost wet java moss or Taiwan moss may work. Taiwan moss will grow up the glass a little ways in a covered fishtank before it starts to dry out.

This would be for general use in moist but not wet tanks, but mostly in Ambystona opacum, A. mavortium, and Triturus Marmoratus tanks. The green sphagnum moss moss I have now, like I said dries out very fast and turns a nasty color. I'm going to get java moss sometime for a future C. e. popei. enclosure.
Thanks Joseph for all your advice

I've been in the Pacific NW this month, and it's no joke that they get that sphagnum from there. In some forests, there's so much of it that there are few places that are not smothered in it. Also, from seeing the moss in it's natural environment, I realized that I was not squeezing enough water after soaking the moss before using it. The moss in it's environment is often not moist at all, and excessive moisture was the reason for the color deterioration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back