Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby alpestris, alpestris

P

philip

not so much of a problem, more a query. i've learnt from using the forum that its possible to force at least some newt morphs to either remain or even to return to an aquatic life. this has proved100% true with my karelinii. however i've heard contrasting views about how aquatic mesotriton alpestris are. i have 5 alpestris, alpestris morphs which have been raised terrestrially for a few months and are thriving but not growing very well, and knowing how much easier it is to monitor feeding in an aquatic state, would it be wise to try to introduce them back to the water?
57201.jpg

J

jennifer

That's a beautiful little critter
love.gif
I have no experience with that subspecies, so I don't have a specific answer to your question. As a first step, you could try adding a shallow water dish to their setup and see if they go there willingly. Be sure the water dish has a cover or some kind of shelter so they feel safe and hidden in it.

F

francesco

It depends on subspecies: apuanus are more aquatic than alpestris. However I wouldn't force neither of them to remain aquatic. Let them choose.

P

philip

the five alpestris took to the water with little coaxing, and are feeding well on bloodworm, small earthworms and daphnia. although not totally aquatic, they seem to spend most time in the water. the increase in growth rate is remarkable

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1