My salamander won't eat! what kinds of other foods are there

K

karolina

my salamander won't eat I have given my salamander blood worms (frozen) I used them for my fish before but my fish have died. is there any other type of food I can give my salamander like what kinds of live food? My salamander is about 8cm my salamander is pooping though about once a day. My salamander long-toed salamander, and what kind of stuff can I put on the floor of his tank? Other than the wood chip flooring stuff? I am keeping it in a plastic container with a lid with holds it's in a rectangle shape length of it is 18cm, width is 14 and height is 15cm, I have moist paper towels on the ground of it and a lid of container covering half the container. Also there are some of those colorful pebble things that are in those oval shapes, also I have put half a hamster tube with has 3 exits for it to hid in my salamander seems to like it, and stays in the water a bit. I put in a deeper dish in the container but he did not swim in it but frantically swam to the side and was trying to get out, so I don't think it's much of an aquatic salamander. I am going to buy my salamander into a 10 gallon fish tank after I get my dad to fish the crack in the side of it, is that too big for him? again I ask what type of flooring other than those wood chippings can i put on the floor?
46153.jpg

the black thing near the edge are the bloodworms and there's a piece of poop by the end of my salamanders tail i change the water and the paper towels every 2 days, oh yeah and how many times should I feed my salamander? and how big should the portions be?

(Message edited by Dragon on October 26, 2005)

The long-toed salamander is not an aquatic caudatan. A water dish isn't even necessary if the tank is kept moist enough. Your salamander hunts using sight and not smell, so it will not eat frozen bloodworms, or any other non-living, non-moving food. Try small earthworms and/or 4-week old crickets.

Yep, this fully terrestrial species would not begin to touch bloodworms as a food source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back