EGGS! What I do now???

F

felipe

My Pleurodeles layed eggs last night and I don't know what I do now! I just take all the pleurodeles off the aquarium! And now?? Should I remove the eggs???And there is one more problem! She put her eggs everywhere! In the rocks, inside her cave, in the walls! What should I do???

Well you should probably move the eggs to another tank. Im not an expert at all but i think thats what your supposed to do. Sorry if im wrong.

But why should the adults eat the other eggs and larvae??? Its so evil! I am doing this way... I put the adults in another tank and let the eggs in their place! If they come to born, I will select the stronger ones! I'm doing right?

This is my opinion, based on raising many newt eggs: it is better to let the adults eat them than to try to raise hundreds and then watch them die from overcrowding. You will see.

If you select the stronger ones, what will you do with the weaker ones?

You should also remember that the larvae will all grow at different speeds due to competition. Larger larvae become more voracious, eat larger food and will quickly grow large enough to eat their brothers and sisters – and they will. The more larvae you keep the greater the competition and greater the range of larval size. So you’ll need plenty of tanks and space if you intend to raise a high number of them. I have 90 Pleuro larvae on the go at the moment – so far divided into three sizes, all laid on the same day. I expect I’ll need more tanks before they morph.

Take peoples advice and raise just a few.

With pleuro's, they're so popular in the pet trade that there's really no need to raise more than a few larvae. If you raise more than that, you run the risk of not being able to house them or move them on to new owners. Nothing's worse than an unwanted caudate.

There is NO popular caudate here in Brasil! In fact, its really hard to find any species of caudate here!!! They are really rare and expensive in the pet trade here!!! I think I have enought space here... How can I know if the eggs are going well?? How long will it take them to born???

Pleuros develop relatively fast, they will hatch in 2 weeks or less. By now, you should be able to see the nucleus of the eggs changing shape, from round to oblong. If the eggs are infertile, they will get fuzzy/moldy soon.

They have tree days now, and they still looking like a little ball, half white and half grey! and they are all looking like this... the nucleus as I had already told you, and the rest of it is transparent

That means they are still in the early stage. Have you decided what type of food you are going to feed them? Better get them ready.

If you keep them all in the original tank, you might not be able to feed them enough or clean the tank enough.

Have fun.

(Message edited by achiinto on November 04, 2005)

I will use artemia larvaes... I have a sad new! Some of my eggs turned opaque with a little white spot!! Theese ones are dead??

Not 100% sure unless you have a picture. But it sound like it. If you wait longer, you might see mold growing on it. Perhaps you may collect those out now and isolate them.

I think there will be problem if feeding artemia, since they will dead after a whilein fresh water. And I guess your tank will be big, too big for the newt larvae. So unless you feed a lot of artemia, otherwise, the larvae wont be able to eat them enough. Since at early stage they will move very little.

And since the artemia died fast in fresh water, the water quality will be lowered very quickly and will be difficult to siphon out the waste without siphoning out the larvae.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the advises! I will not keep the larvae in the tank where the eggs are! I will keep them in some plastic big pots! They have 6 days now, and not changed at all.... the nucleus of the eggs are turning white! They are dead??? They are in dificult places to take good pictures of them!!
sad.gif

I hope you will be able to get them out once they hatched. I used to have some great difficulty to get them out in the big tank or in any small tank. Cause they are small and swim fast.

I have actually designed a tool. I used a long air tube and with a hard air tube in front. I navigate the air tube next to the larvae and the suck it out. (I dont mouth start it.)

By the way, look at this link,
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/T_ver_series.shtml , does that white spot look like the 2,3,4 pictures? if so, those are probably head growing out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back