Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled newt question

D

dane

I read in caudata culture that you can keep marbled newts terrestrialy,and then put them in water during the breeding season,

My question is do you HAVE to switch them to fully aquatic during the breeding season? I'm assuming that it is but I just wanna know for future knowledge

I

ian

I would say Dane you could keep them totally terrestrial ,obviously if there is no water to breed in then they can't, but this go's against their natural instincts and i believe can even shorten their lifespan as this would involve not letting them hibernate to stop them coming into breeding condition.I breed them and believe me there is nothing more pleasing than to see a tiny newt emerging from the water that you have had from a small whitish egg.

J

jennifer

How old are your marmoratus, Dane? Or are you just considering getting some? If you have juveniles, you can certainly keep them fully terrestrial for the first year. And if terrestrial is easier for you, you could keep the adults terrestrial with a large water dish. I'm not sure how they would react to having only that amount of water in winter, but I suspect they would be fine.

D

dane

I don't have any as of now, but I would surely love some in the years to come

D

dane

I actually have another question, How big of a tank should be used for a pair of marms?, in caudata culture they have dimensions for 3 pairs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!