Tigers sheding skin.

D

deby

Hi guys,

I have a Tiger who has recently morphed, she is in a land based tank with hiding places and water deep enough to submerge in and is eating crikets like mad (twice a week). Here is my question - is she going to shed skin continously for the rest of her life? It seems like as soon as she has rid herself of one skin layer another starts to come off. Her water is declorinated - so whats up?

Deby Spangler

(Message approved by admin)

I think all caudates shed their skin regularly but it should only occur occasionally. Frequent shedding is usually a sign of skin disease or parasites or also wrong water parameters. I think you have to give us more details on water parameters.

Deby,
My tiger sheds about once every 3 days or so---don't know if that is normal, but he seems pretty healthy. I would be interested to see what other tiger owners think, hard to say what is "regular" and what is "abnormal" shedding. I think your tiger is probably fine if he is eating regularly like he is and you have a clean tank, including clean substrate.
happy.gif

Her house is clean and this shedding didn't start until she neared the end of her morphing. The other tiger I have, who is just beginning to morph, hasn't shed a skin yet. She is eating well I think - ate 6 small crickets yesterday.
Thanks for your input Leanne.

Deby

(Message approved by admin)

I think your tiger is going to be fine---it seems to me that these terrestrial caudates shed more than their aquatic relatives.....try feeding her earthworms also if she will take to them (mine only will eat them if they are in the water, picky picky!), and coat your crickets with vitamin dust found at pet stores, since crickets are a little deficient in calcium---this doesn't have anything to do with shedding, but it's just what I learned when I came onto this forum (there are very knowledgeable people here!)
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back