Questions about fire salamander

G

greg

I recently got a fire salamander and have done a lot of research on them. i have a nice clean set up and he seems to be happy, he eats regularly and does'nt seem ill. but he never seems to leave his little clay pot hiding spot, even for food. he just usually waits for crickets to come in his sight. i guess what i really want to know is are most fire sals shy like this or is there something wrong. also he has a kinda deformed hand with only two short stubby fingers i think it gives him personality but should i be alarmed by that? anyway any help or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

thanks, greg

That's normal. Why waste the energy hunting for food when it comes right by? I know mine got less shy once they realized I was the 'bearer of food'. Try feeding something that doesn't move as much, like earthworms. Put these near the front and see if it'll come out to get them. You may have to feed near dusk.

Deformities usually arise from injury or severed limbs that don't regenerate completely. It happens. Just think of it as one of those things that makes your sal unique.

thank you for your words of wisdom i needed something to put me at ease. i will try the earthworms and see if he worms up to me.

thanks, greg

you should also make sure that the hand isn't turning a different colour and losing more digits(I believe those are signs for an infection) just incase

By the way, if the earthworms don't work, it's OK because fire sals are mostly active at night.

I don't find my Salamandra to be like this at all. They chase after food and will even chase my hand if i leave it in there too long! Mine are more like toads...running and diving onto pretty much anything i put in with them, even fast moving crickets. They're like this anytime of the day.
I shouldn't worry too much though....your animal may just need time to settle into it's new environment.

Andy, I found mine to be very shy in the beginning, but are now very sociable.

Joan, i would think it has something to do with them being imported to the states. Here in the UK we have great breeders of these animals and they're only ever in the post for 15 hours or so...they're bold and personable from the word go.

Mine are captive bred. But moving to a new home, no matter how long they're in the post is stressful.

thank you all for your input i guess me and otis need to do some bonding for a while.

thanks all

Yes, shipping animals is stressful for them but obviously international shipping is more so than overnight shipping. I wasn't aware of much, if any, captive breeding of Salamandra in the states as i don't recall hearing of any. Is there much captive breeding of them over there?
Good luck with Otis Greg!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back