Keep orange bellies

R

rubén

Somebody knows what's the correct/suitable dose or solution for Mesotriton alpestris, of the artificial products with Cantaxanthin? I'm talking about Carophyll Red

Thanks

If you're dosing via food, it's virtually impossible to be accurate.
Cantaxanthin appears to be distasteful to most amphibians, so you have to hide it.
The best way I've found of doing this is to gutload lesser waxmoth larvae with cantaxanthin-rich food. Feeding a few of these to each animal is safe, but the precise dose given is guesswork.

Thanks Alan

I started to feed my Mesotriton alpestris apuanus/reiseri with cantaxanthin-rich food the past week, but maybe is too late ( are 3 months metamorphed juvies with clearly yellow bellies )

I don't think it's too late - I'm sure you'll find they will colour up.
Keep us informed
happy.gif

i wonder if there is a critical period when the cantaxanthin is needed, because yes i get the yellow bellies-but the parents that eat the same diet have never lost their redness...so if its environmentally (food) influenced why dont the parents revert? can you get your yellow belly morphs to go orange-er?

alan: what about the paprika trick?

I've been feeding an adult male alpestris with gut-loaded waxmoth larvae. I used 1% carophyll red in the culture medium.

He started off a light yellow, and is now orange, after about 5 months of feeding. I am intending to try higher doses, to see if he will develop a deeper colour.

Paris- the adults can fade to yellow, though usually very slowly. I suspect your diet has enough carotenoids to maintain the current colour, but not enough to deepen it.

some PDF guys recommended paprika in the medium, this is easier to get and a natural food item -has anyone had success with that?

I've not used cantaxanthin on alpestris, by feeding them on a diet of earthworms, Daphnia and bloodworms, they are already orange enough for my taste.
However, cantaxanthin has been effective at colouring-up adult Bombina, so it's not just juveniles this applies to.
Much has been written about using paprika over the years, but I'm not sure about how speculative this is. I can say for sure that cantaxanthin works, with no ill effects when used as described above.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back